Friday, September 18, 2015

relentless teardrops

I thought I'd make a how-to
on something I seem to know a lot about

and maybe you're not into that so you've already clicked the back button
but I've learned from experience that

sometimes you have to feel the sad stuff 
actually feel it
and probably cry about it
to move on
and shove the tears back in your eyes


how to cry

step one:
think about everything too much
because if you don't,
you'll be just fine

step two:
let your heart sadden,
becoming soggy with the tears that haven't spilled
and choked by the sobbing that's yet to come

step three:
try to keep them in
the teardrops I mean
because for some reason that gives them all the more reason
to fall

step four:
once you're crying
just a little
about the simple sad things
remind yourself of the heartbreaking things
so that your heart can break one more time


now the tears are really flowing
and if someone walked in you'd be hosed
and I know it,
but don't worry I won't tell


step five:
don't try to stop
or else the teardrops will never let you.
just let them wear themselves out
& dry themselves off
& you'll be worn out too

step six:
now you have to sleep.
really, this is mandatory
it's like a giant reset button and when you wake
you won't feel as much

which is ok for a little while.

but then you have to repeat.
because those relentless teardrops will find you
and eventually
you'll need to release

so,

step seven:
repeat steps one through six

because "pain demands to be felt."

9 comments:

  1. so beautiful and so tragic but so real and I think that's the greatest thing about this post is that it's honest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't hit the back button.

    My grandpa died this morning. I want to feel sad about it, but I don't. I've talked to my dad three times today and he cried twice. It's twice as many times as I've ever seen him cry in my whole life. (If you're counting, that means I've seen him cry only once before, when we had to put down our dog, Kobra.)

    I'm rambling already, I know.

    And I'm thinking about the whole thing where I only like blogs that are sad and depressing, and I don't want that to be true.

    I coached football tonight at Riverton and I didn't tell anyone what I was thinking about. I almost cried four times (on the way to the game; during the national anthem, which sucked by the way; in the locker room before the game; after we came out for halftime; walking to my car alone after the game; listening to track 13 on a mix CD that I stole from a student's journal). Okay, so maybe it was more than four times.

    I don't even know what I'm saying. I guess I want to cry, but I don't. And I don't know why sad writing makes me feel so much more. And I don't know why I chose to leave all of this personal stuff on a blog comment. And I don't know so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your grandpa. & sorry about your dad. & I know how it feels to hold the tears in & it sucks.

      Maybe you're tougher than me and not so sentimental and self-pitying, but when I try to hide it my friends always know.

      I'm also thinking about being the sad and depressing blog and I don't want that to be true but for some reason those are the most real feelings I have. Somehow it's easiest to let the sad things choke out the optimists and I just think most the time optimism is a just little overrated.

      Maybe that's why sad writing makes us feel so much more. Which might be unfortunate but maybe it's a blessing.

      Now I don't know what I'm saying either. But I think the backspace is cursed because the first time around is when it's real stuff. Editing sucks.

      Thanks for being a real human

      Delete
  3. "don't try to stop, or else the teardrops will never let you." *snaps*

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Think about everything to much. Because if you don't, you'll be just fine." Soo true
    And I like this because sometimes I really wanna cry, but I can't. So now I know where to go when I feel like crying

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you.

    I feel weak when I want to cry. Not when I have to and they let themselves out on their own, but when I want to even though they're not coming.
    I think it makes me a phony or unworthy of tears or something. I don't know. But this perspective is something I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. and thank you. and wow. this is incredible. 'Pain demands to be felt'... my favorite quote of all time.

    ReplyDelete